Skills And Tools:
The SupMed project aims to support farmers in Lebanon and Egypt in the implementation of adaptation and mitigation strategies to climate change (CC).
It concerns the Luxor Governorate in Egypt and the Beqaa valley in Lebanon, two areas marked by significant levels of poverty, public agricultural advisory systems undergoing restructuring and a risk of natural resource overexploitation (water and soil) aggravated by climate uncertainty.
The SupMed project aims to structurally and sustainably reduce the overexploitation of water resources and improve the income of farm households. For that purpose, it will put forward, implement and assess integrated, agronomic and socio-economic initiatives based on agro-ecology in order to reduce water dependency in each of the project territories.
Beyond local experiments, the project will also contribute to the development of national strategies to fight climate change by capitalizing on the results obtained and promoting the sharing of experience between the territories of the two countries concerned and institutional stakeholders.
Expected objectives and results of the project
- The preservation of water resources:
- The adoption by farmers of new sustainable farming practices helps reduce water demand and improve the income of producers. of contextualized CC adaptation strategies.
- A contribution to national strategies linked to Climate Change
The project is expected to last 4 years, starting in spring 2021
The missions of the focal point from the SupMed project to the EACDP
The focal point will work in direct collaboration with the CIHEAM-IAMM team, which is in charge of managing the SupMed project, as well as with the institutional partners of the project in Egypt Faculty of Agronomy Cairo University, Agricultural regional direction of Luxor, and the EASD association. He/she will be in charge of:
- The institutional coordination and communication between the EACDP and the SupMed project coordination team throughout the duration of the project. It includes:
- Participation in the steering committee (definition of the overall strategy and vision; presentation and monitoring of results; validation of half-yearly action plans; budget approval)
- Coordination between the EACDP Climate Change programme and the SupMed project
- Administrative monitoring of the technical and financial contribution of the EACDP programme to the SupMed project.
- Facilitating communication between the SupMed project and the Ministries of Agriculture
Mobilizing national networks (research centres, experts, regional directorate, etc.) to participate in training programmes and various events within the SupMed project.
- Facilitating relations with national and local institutional stakeholders in the implementation of project activities: support for the organization of project coordination and monitoring meetings, support for the mobilization of stakeholders to participate in the training programmes set up by the project on the subject of adaptation strategies to CC, support for the promotion of innovative sectors
Contributing to capitalization activities and the dissemination of project results:
- Participating in the reflection on the definition of national strategies for adaptation to CC, participating in the Lebanese-Egyptian network on bioeconomic modeling as a tool to support future agricultural policies on CC and in meetings to reflect on and disseminate the project results
- Participating in regional experience-sharing sessions in Egypt and across the Mediterranean area
- Help communicate project results to local stakeholders beyond the territories concerned by the project : dissemination of documents to farm service centres and farmers
Required qualifications and skills
- Agricultural engineering diploma
- At least 5 years of experience in agricultural or rural development projects related to climate change in Egypt and in a management position at a regional or national level.
- Knowledge of the issues regarding adaptation strategies to climate change, as well as water resource management and national and international trade issues.
- Excellent knowledge of the Egyptian agricultural institutional fabric and ability to mobilize local stakeholders
- Language skills in English and/or French
Work conditions and organization
- He/she will work in close collaboration with the CIHEAM-IAMM coordination team, which is in charge of managing the project, as well as with local partners in the Luxor area.
- Workplace: Luxor EACDP programme, with occasional trips for coordination meetings in the project territories. Travel abroad as part of experience-sharing activities in Lebanon and the Mediterranean area.
- Duration of the contract: one-year fixed-term contract, potentially renewable until the end of the project (4 contracts)
- Working time: 2 days/month, he/she will have to provide CIHEAM-IAMM with a timesheet and a detailed report of the activities carried out for the SupMed project on a monthly basis.
- Salary: the salary will be defined in consultation with local stakeholders and in accordance with the CIHEAM-IAMM salary grid, depending on the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate.
- The successful application will be subject to final approval by the FFEM secretariat.
Deadline for submitting applications: April 15th, 2021, effective start as soon as possible.
- Mechanical Project EngineerConfidential Company - Nasr City, Cairo4 days ago
- Projects Control ManagerConfidential Company - Cairo, Egypt2 days ago