Skills And Tools:
The British International School Madinaty is looking to appoint a dynamic EAL Coordinator. This role oversees our processes for supporting and tracking the progress of our EAL pupils. We need a candidate who has the capacity to make an exceptional contribution to EAL provision in the school and enable us to achieve our goal of all students making real and substantial progress in their learning.
The successful candidate will work with members of the English staff along with other teams to continue to develop and improve learning in students who use English as an Additional Language.
Main Responsibilities and Duties
- To support the department Head in implementing the SEN Plan.
- Supervise and train EAL teachers
- Assess new students for language proficiency
- Ensure that the student(s) have access to resources to support their learning
- Oversee the transition of EAL students from year to year.
- Assess students’ language levels using the relevant assessment material to establish a baseline as part of the EAL student profile
- Ensure that the EAL Student profile includes targets for teaching and learning strategies
- Circulate EAL student profiles at the appropriate times
- Liaise with LDD staff for EAL students who have an SEN/D
- Monitor the academic, social and emotional progress of students on the EAL register
- Maintain a positive relationship with EAL students
- Maintenance of resources e.g. bilingual dictionaries, EAL assessment tools
- Support the development of a strategy ensuring inclusion, equality of opportunity and respect for diversity
- Prepare students (where relevant) for examinations.
- Attend Parents’ Evenings where relevant in order to inform parents of progress
- Provide reviews of students’ progress, as appropriate
- To fulfil the aims of the school and work towards maintaining its ethos
- To participate in relevant time meetings
- To be committed to furthering your own professional development and participating in Performance Management and in-service training as necessary to optimize your performance in your role
- Experience in working with children as a EAL teacher
- Leadership experience is a plus
- Excellent command of English
- Bachelor Degree from an institution recognized by the Ministry of Education
- A special education certification or working towards the certification is preferred
- Successful teaching experience with special needs students would be an asset
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality
- Ability to establish a strong rapport with students, families and school personnel
- Ability to work as a team player
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Display a positive attitude and work ethic
- Knowledge of computers and applicable software