Skills And Tools:
To ensure the British Council maintains its reputation as the highest quality provider of English Language Teaching by providing effective support to the management of Egypt Young Learner products and services, making a contribution to the development and expansion of the YL business. To maintain and enhance professional development and academic quality in the teaching centre, and ensure that British Council Egypt is an example of UK ELT best practice.
Main opportunities/challenges for this role:
- To lead on academic management of the Young Learner programme in one branch
- To roll out new programmes and initiatives in line with country and regional strategies.
- To maintain the highest possible standards of child protection in the delivery of language teaching in one of Egypt’s teaching centres.
Performance Management and development of teachers
- Provide effective line management support for staff managed as per current teacher performance management guidelines, policies and procedures
- Ensure that all teaching is delivered to standards set out in teachers Role Profiles, the Statement of Approach and Teaching Skills framework documents
Learning and development
- Contribute to the design and implementation of an annual training schedule, taking into account Teaching Centre needs
- Actively identify appropriate opportunities for staff learning and development.
- Ensure teachers are compliant with all mandatory online training (including Health and Safety, Safeguarding and Child Protection). Provide any mandatory F2F training necessary.
- Act as a role model for good classroom practice by encouraging teachers to observe you teaching, doing demonstration lessons and leading teacher development sessions.
- Delegate the development of appropriate training/teacher development sessions (according to life stage and centre needs) to advance teachers
- Provide or set up mentoring programmes for new teachers/teachers teaching new life stages etc where appropriate.
- Agree own personal development plan and review with line manager
- Routinely monitor developments in ELT theory and practice and bring these to the attention of your teaching team through presentations, practical sessions, recommended reading etc.
- From time to time, represent the British Council at local ELT conferences
- Proactively look for opportunities to highlight examples of best practice within the centre and externally
Duty of care
- Proactively monitor the well-being of all your line managees and provide an appropriate level of personal support
- Ensure that all line managers of teachers are also doing this and that appropriate action is taken to deal with any issues
Support product development, teaching delivery and quality in the classroom
- Contribute to the evaluation and improvement of products and related services to meet students’ needs by actively working as a member of the Teaching Centre management team.
- Ensuring that research into courses and services is implemented and collated as required by the marketing team
- Organise the piloting of new courses and materials where relevant.
- Introduce new products to teaching staff and support to ensure that teachers deliver products to the product specification
- Monitor customer satisfaction and re-registration rates and determine appropriate action to address issues
- Ensure Teaching Quality standards for teaching and learning are consistently met
- Manage and develop learner assessment techniques and processes (continuous assessment, portfolio assessment, and test design), ensuring appropriate progression between levels.
Marketing and communications
- Ensure communications to all life stage groups are accurate and effective
- Work with the Student Services and Customer Services teams to deal with academic enquiries or complaints ensuring teachers are fully briefed and consulted where appropriate
- Liaise with Exams team to ensure that opportunities for efficiencies and collaboration are exploited wherever possible.
Teaching Centre Management duties
- Support the Deployment Team with timetabling, ensuring there is teaching cover available to meet student expectations and needs.
- Contribute to the implementation of and (ongoing support for) any new management procedures for teachers
- Assist in the recruitment of new teachers by participating in shortlisting and interviewing as required
About You (essential requirements for the role):
- University degree
- English at Proficiency Level C2: Native speaker or IELTS band 8/9 in each of 4 sections of the academic module.
- DELTA or equivalent TEFL Q qualification
- Graduate plus higher level teaching diploma DELTA/ Trinity Diploma in TESOL (or equivalent) or relevant NQF level 7 in appropriate area)
- 2 years teaching experience (adults & YLs), post certificate level teaching qualification
- Experience of line managing/ coordinating teaching teams
- Master’s degree in relevant area
- Specialist qualification demonstrating specialisation, e.g. YL extension, TYLEC or equivalent /PGCE primary or secondary.
- Experience of teaching and/or examining IELTS candidates
- Experience of delivering teacher training, undertaking teacher observations and developmental line management of teachers and support staff
- • Number of positions: 1
• Location: Egypt
• Contract type: Two Years
• Deadline to receive applications: 11th of January 2022
- Please note that all applications should be submitted in English only.
It is advisable to apply in advance to avoid any technical issues at the last moment
- A connected and trusted UK in a more connected and trusted world.
Equality , Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) Statement
- The British Council is committed to policies and practices of equality, diversity and inclusion across everything we do. We support all staff to make sure their behaviour is consistent with this commitment. We want to address under representation and encourage applicants from under-represented groups, in particular, but not exclusively, on grounds of ethnicity and disability. All disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria are guaranteed an interview and we have Disability Confident Employer Status. We welcome discussions about specific requirements or adjustments to enable participation and engagement in our work and activities.
- The British Council is committed to safeguarding children, young people and adults who we work with.
- We believe that all children and adults everywhere in the world deserve to live in safe environments and have the right to be protected from all forms of abuse, maltreatment and exploitation as set out in article 19, UNCRC (United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child) 1989.
- Appointment to positions where there is direct involvement with vulnerable groups will be dependent on thorough checks being completed; these will include qualification checks, reference checks, identity & criminal record checks in line with legal requirements and with the British Council’s Safeguarding policies for Adults and Children.
- Please note: Applications to this role can only be considered when made through the Apply section of our careers website. Our ‘ASK HR’ email is only to be used in case of a technical issue encountered when applying through the careers website. Emails with supporting statements and CV/Resumes sent to this email address will not be reviewed and will be deleted.
- English Teacher Primary StagesEl Massria Integrated Schools - 10th of Ramadan City, Sharqia4 days ago
- English Teacher - Supervisor "...Confidential Company - Rehab City, Cairo3 days ago
- German Teaching & Learning Ass...The Royal British International School - New Cairo, Cairo7 days ago
- Primary Teaching & Learning As...The Royal British International School - New Cairo, Cairo7 days ago
- Primary Arabic Teaching & Lear...The Royal British International School - New Cairo, Cairo7 days ago