I was recruited to implement the startup and management of a full spectrum of HR operations, systems and programs. I worked collaboratively to ensure achievement of the HR and Business Strategy, which supported and helped to deliver corporate objectives within an employment law framework. This involved being responsible for every aspect of HR from the creation of innovative resourcing strategies to designing talent development programmes. I was also responsible for providing HR counsel, advice and support to all senior managers on all areas of operational HR enabling them to make appropriate people decisions in support of the business plan execution, as well as identifying and escalating HR risks and issues across the various offices across the country, including Employee Relations issues and policy development. I coordinate the activities required to meet company quality standards, focusing on continuous improvement whilst contributing to the company’s strategy and demonstrating the company values and behaviours. I partnered each HR specialty functional area including staffing, compensation and benefits, L&LD;, diversity and inclusion and Employee relations to effectively develop and execute the core HR processes which are relevant to the business plans and location needs to deliver responsive and pragmatic solutions.
I dealt with all areas of Employee and industrial relations such as conflict and mediation, industrial action and strikes, trade unions, trade union recognition and negotiation, collective bargaining, absence, communication and consultation, discipline and grievances, dismissal, employee engagement, flexible working etc. To improve the organisation, I initiated and completed the following projects, introducing effective changes within the organisation
My principal duties and responsibilities included:-
• Prepare and control spend within HR Budget (Training and Recruitment costs - negotiating best deals with contractors and sourcing cost effective options wherever possible in line with business needs)
• Ensure the organisation is aware of its employee’s compensation and benefits versus market benchmarks
• Provide effective and timely recruitment solutions for all agreed assignments, ensuring recruited employee’s fit the need of the role and fit within the organisation’s cultural environment.
• Provide full HR Manager Service across all sites, assisting and guiding managers on the contents, interpretation and application of employment law, terms and conditions of employment, policies and procedures, ensuring consistency of approach and accuracy
• Coach and develop the management team to improve people management capability.
• Coordinate and deliver identified Training & Development solutions that meet the training needs and evaluate its effectiveness in partnership with the Heads of Department
• Coordinate HR policies and procedures, ensuring full compliance across all levels of the workforce
• Enable line management to deliver effective HR strategies on recruitment, induction, performance management, reward management, communication and learning and development, communications tools and organisational change and planning. Develop front line management capability
• Create and shape a culture of high performance and continuous improvement, where employees feel valued and empowered and ensure they understand how their roles impact on and directly deliver, the company’s future growth
• Ensure 100% management of HR processes is carried out within the required legal framework.
• Keep abreast of developments within UK and European legislation, and revise and communicate changes to internal policies where appropriate.
• Network with local HR contacts and support groups.
• Implement key projects and objectives within specific time frames in line with department objectives and the HR plan.
• Play a key part in ensuring the HR Department meet all standards for internal and external audits and support the quality, Health & Safety departments.
• Monitor HR KPI's ensuring key actions are put in place to address any issues.
My role here was to develop and deliver people management strategies, which supported LIPA’s overall strategic aims and objectives. I contributed at both a strategic and operational level in order to identify HR priorities and recommended appropriate people management solutions, which supported business aims, in addition to providing a customer-focused HR service. I provided expert professional advice and support to managers and staff on all aspects of people management, which fully reflected current employment legislation and best practice. I built excellent relationships with employee and TU reps, including leading on collective discussions
I worked with approximately 200 full time staff and approximately 300 casuals. I helped direct a training budget of £75k and a recruitment budget of £35k, and provided guidance and support to all staff on the full range of HR activities including policies and procedures, terms and conditions of employment, absence management, restructuring of services, recruitment, retention, performance management, employee relations, employee reward, learning and development and internal communications
My principal duties and responsibilities included:-
1. Strategic HR Management
1.1. In consultation with the Director of Personnel and Administration, prepare and implement the annual HR Plan to support the overall strategic aims and objectives
1.2. Identify, design and implement strategic HR projects, as and when required.
2.1. Provide support to managers in the recruitment of all staff.
2.2. Participate in the selection of staff, as appropriate.
3. Employee Relations
3.1. Work closely with senior and line managers, providing them with expert guidance, coaching and support on the full range of HR activities (including policies and procedures, terms and conditions of employment, absence management, restructuring of services, performance management, redundancy planning etc.), in order to ensure a consistent and fair approach to people management throughout
3.2. Keep up to date with legal developments and advise management on compliance and risk factors.
3.3. Manage investigations, disciplinary and grievance matters in conjunction with the Director of Personnel and Administration.
3.4. Provide advice and guidance on individual employee relations cases, ensuring that these are well managed and meet the requirements of LIPA’ policies, best practice and employment legislation.
3.5. Develop, implement and maintain HR policies and procedures to ensure effective, fair and consistent management of staff throughout the organisation, and ensure that the staff handbook is comprehensive and up-to-date.
3.6. Ensure that managers and staff are aware of the policies and procedures and able to operate them effectively.
3.7. Provide support to staff on HR issues, as and when required.
3.8. Monitor and review the system of performance appraisal and continually develop as necessary, ensuring that annual appraisals are carried out in a timely manner and followed up.
3.9. Ensure that staff are informed and updated on key business and organisational issues.
4. Learning and Development
4.1. In consultation with line managers, follow up individual development needs and source external training provision as and when required, monitoring training costs against budget.
4.2. Administer the evaluation of all learning and development activities.
4.3. Make recommendations on a cost-effective management development programme to support LIPA’s people management strategies
4.4. Maintain training records for all staff and assist with any training initiatives, as required.
5. Compensation and Benefits
5.1. Gather and analyse market data to measure the competitiveness of LIPA’s compensation and benefits package, and make recommendations as appropriate.
5.2. Assist with the annual salary review process
6.1. Monitor sickness and absence levels and provide monthly management reports to the Directorate.
6.2. Represent HR and participate in various internal groups and committees across the organisation.
6.3. Review and manage new starter and leaver processes, including conducting exit interviews for all staff.
6.4. Manage maternity leave administration and flexible working requests.
6.5. Monitor HR trends throughout the organisation and provide management information on Key Performance Indicators to the Directorate as appropriate.
6.7. In consultation with the Director of Personnel and Administration manage the implementation of HR systems and develop where necessary.
6.9. Manage health issues and medical referrals.
6.10. Manage the information held on the HR database and personnel files to ensure it is updated in a timely and accurate manner and complies with any legal or data protection policies.
6.12. Act as one of LIPA’s Designated Safeguarding Officers.
My duties here included carrying out all aspects of HR, including:-
• Recruitment and Selection, Attendance Management, Professional Development, Performance Management and Appraisal;
• Provide employees with guidance and support on employment and HR matters, including ensuring that all employees are informed of and have access to HR information and procedures affecting them and dealing with a range of queries relating to HR (as opposed to line management) matters
• Ensure all employees and managers in particular are aware of HR policies and procedures and any periodic changes to them
• Promoting equality and diversity as part of the culture of the organisation
• Liaising with a wide range of people involved in policy areas such as staff performance and health and safety
• Advising on pay and other remuneration issues, including promotion and benefits
• Maintaining and inputting employee records
• Interpreting and advising on employment legislation
• Dealing with grievances and implementing disciplinary procedures
• Planning training, including inductions for new staff
• Analysing training needs in conjunction with departmental managers.
I was employed here as a Bursar, dealing with all school issues, including Human Resource, finance, secretarial and admin duties.
Prior to working here, I worked for West Derby Comprehensive as an HR & Finance Officer for 5 years and two other schools as an HR Administration officer. I also have 13 years experience of working in solicitor’s offices as a Para Legal and within the NHS as a PA/Medical Secretary.